Friday, April 19, 2013

Change of face

Well today while waiting for the monsoon I took those ugly ass Saddleman saddlebags off of my Sportster. Since they are bolt on, the rear turn signals have to be relocated to behind the bags. This isn't a problem since the bags come with plastic brackets to remount them onto. The problem with that is all the rear bolts have to be taken out to do the job. I had to remove two bolts from each bag. The same two that hold the sissybar and rack. The same two that also hold the fender to the frame. Done and done. Time to put the lights back on. Not so fast. The wires are threaded through the bag and I had to remove the plug from the wires. That by the way requires removing the tail light. Ok, now I'm ready. NOPE. Even lifting the fender as high as it will go doesn't give me enough clearence to install the 3.5" bolts without hitting the tire. Damn it! So I loosen the axel and belt adjusters and push the tire forward. Finally they go on. Much easier to put it back together.

Now what to do with the bags?

No comments:

Post a Comment