Friday, May 20, 2011

Piece of crap

Well the short, and I do mean short, trip down the interstate last weekend on my way to Kernersville my generator light came on. I then went ahead and rode out my ride plan for the day and the bike did great. When I got home I tried to start it back up after shutting it down and it did start but was hesitant to turn over. The battery was almost dead. So I figured it was the regulator since it was not a true motorcycle part. I ordered a new solid state regulator and once it got here I put it on, rewired the entire charging system and fired up the bike. Nothing. The damn light is still on. So now what? I checked out the generator as best I could (I'm not very good at electrical crap) and it seems to be the generator gone bad. Just in time for my trip too. 5 weeks to go and I'm broke down, and flat busted at the bank. No money for repairs and less for riding around on. The bills and kids come first. Well I guess all is not lost, I DO have 5 weeks to get things right. Cross your fingers for me, mine will be covered in grease.

2 comments:

  1. Bummer!

    I worry all the time the same might happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I had an extra Genny for you. How much is it to have one rebuilt these days I wonder? Alamance Starter did me up reasonable some time back and were honest with my brother about his for his tractor, after a few days they called and told him the generator wasn't the problem. Could have painted it up and charged for a rebuild and he'd never known. Good folks to deal with.

    ReplyDelete